Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Wish...

Wishes.

Every one has them, especially me. There are a lot of things I could wish for and each one of them would make me very happy.

I wish I looked better naked.

I wish for a winning lottery ticket.

I wish for a cure to cancer.

I wish that justice didn’t carry a price tag.

But if I could only make one wish, as much as I would want any of the four listed above, I would wish for something else. So let me explain my thinking before I reveal my wish.

People change.

Some for the better, some for the worse. But it does happen.

Sometimes we never see it coming. Sometimes we pray for it.

I suppose as humans, this should be expected. We are constantly evolving and growing and developing ourselves into (hopefully) the kind of people we want to be. Always wanting to better ourselves and at the same time wanting to do the best we can for our loved ones.

I have changed. I’ve had to adjust my lifestyle and eating habits a lot over the last few years. I can’t eat near as much as I used to. I went to Six Flags in St Louis on Saturday and I was unable to finish the burger I had for dinner. That’s rare.

My wife acknowledged just last night that she has changed over time. She is not the same woman who graduated high school. Nor is she the same woman who married her first husband, divorced him, and married me. She has grown and evolved into the woman she is today. And very likely, she is still a work in progress.

But two people I know (and not related to each other) have gone through some changes recently. One of them acknowledges the changes as a growth experience. The person is learning more and more about themselves every day and this brings about more changes in the way they interact with others. The other person doesn’t even appear to be aware that the changes have taken place. Their change has been emotional. They have gone from being a fun-loving person to someone who worries about things way too much, to the point where it has had a very negative effect on their home life.

I’ve been watching two families on the verge of self-destruction and it is not pretty.
So getting back to the central point of this blog – wishes – my wish would be that for these two people and their families – the process of change will open their eyes to the overall big picture. So that they may find happiness for both themselves and for their spouses.

I realize that for these people to all find happiness, it may require an end to their current relationships. But as my friend Lavendar Roses wrote recently, everything has a beginning and an end. And when something ends, it could be making room for possibly something more beautiful to begin.

Personally, I believe that people come in and out of our lives for a reason. It could be to help us find balance, or steer our thoughts in a new direction, or even to educate us.

These people do not read this blog (that I'm aware of). Therefore, their future and guidance is most likely in their own hands. Maybe they will see what change has done to them, maybe not.. Whatever the result, my wish is for them to simply find peace and happiness in their lives. For everyone to find that, actually.

No comments: