Thursday, February 26, 2009

American Idol - NEXT!

Top 36 Section B

I ended up having to work late last night and for a minute, I thought I was going to miss Idol tonight. But my student worker showed up at 6:30 and so I headed out and just walked in the door at 7pm and turned on the tv in time to hear Ryan’s famous words…

“This….Is American Idol!”

Then we have a few judges comments, including one baffling comment from Kara – “There are no second chances.” WTF?? Ummm, what about the wild card round, hello?? Then we have some discussion about Simon changing seats this week and I don’t think we ever really find out why.

So let’s move on the performances shall we?

Jasmine Murray – “Love Song” - Perhaps it was just nerves, but I caught a few missed notes, it seemed, here and there and I think it may end up costing her if the other performers can pick it up a notch tonight.

Matt Giraud – “Viva la Vida” – Wow…he had more missed notes than the first time I tried to blog idol! And I missed a LOT of them! Sorry Matt…it’s been real…

Jeanine Vailes – “This Love” – I will just say she is no Blake Lewis.

NOTE: Commercial break…Saw a new commercial for Hulu.com. I love my Tammy and all, but suddenly I feel like I must score a date with Eliza Dushku…

Nick Mitchell/Norman Gentle – Did what I can only assume was an original song - Well…um…ok, white tails don’t work with khaki shorts, especially with brown socks and tennis shoes. But as for his song…It’s the best I’ve heard so far tonight. I’m debating going out on a limb here and saying he just might get enough votes. Kara got in a nice dig at Simon when she mentioned Nick/Norman’s shirt.

Allison Iraheta – “Alone” – I still get goosebumps remembering when Carrie Underwood did this song back in season 4. I think I only heard one rough spot, but overall it was an awesome performance.

Kris Allen – “Man in the Mirror” – This is a guy who suffered from a lack of airtime during Hollywood week and I really don’t remember seeing him in his audition either. Not bad, I almost feel cheated that we didn’t see much of him before. He started out a little forgettable but finished well.

Megan Corkrey – “Put Your Records On” – I sat through her performance and nothing came to mind. I don’t know. She just didn’t wow me. It looked like she was trying to bounce her boobies up there, but I don’t think she has enough up there to shake. For once, I can agree with Simon, I think she may have oversang it.

Matt Breitzke – “If You Could Only See” – The oil man got through last week, this week it’s the welder’s turn. He’s got a good voice, but I’m not sure I can see him actually winning this thing. But I thought it was one of the better performances tonight. The judges disagreed.

Jessie Langseth – “Bette Davis Eyes” – Moments before the performance, Tammy texted me and said she hoped Jessie would do this song. I think she definitely changed it up and gave it a different sound, making it her own. I wonder what America will think…I’m not sure it was enough.

Kai Kalama – “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted” - Another of the good voices, but honestly, I think you put him in the mix and match bin with Kris and Matt.

Mishavonna Henson – “Drops of Jupiter” – Wrong song for her. Too clean. Reminds me of when Liza Minelli sang We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert.

Adam Lambert – “Satisfaction” – Hands down, best vocals of the night.
OK, so time to vote! Based on tonight’s performances, here’s my predictions:

Top Male: Adam Lambert
Top Female: Allison Iraheta

Next Highest Vote Getter: Pick ‘em out of a hat: Kai, Kris, or Matt. But wait…those three are going to split a lot of votes. Most of the other women tonight were a bit forgettable. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Nick/Norman takes the 3rd seat tonight.

No comments: